Friday, March 26, 2010

I'M GONNA SHOW YOU...

"You who are a man, make yourself God..."

Pssh, if only that was all he did! No way man, Jesus goes way beyond "making himself God." First, we all know that he was actually God, "one of the Blessed Trinity", who made himself man. That's what yesterday's feast was all about. But that's not what Jesus came to do. He didn't just come for himself. He came for us. He came to make us "Gods-by-participation" to use John of the Cross' expression.

I don't have the quote here in front of me, but there's a great line from C.S. Lewis in Mere Christianity that goes something like this:

"Every person you meet today, even the dullest, could one day appear before you in such glory and majesty that if you saw him now, you'd be tempted to fall down in worship. Or he could appear before you as such a horror that you now only see, if at all, in a nightmare. Every day we are helping one another to one of these two fates. There are no ordinary people."

Who's "ordinary" in your life? Who do you tend to ignore? to take for granted? to forget about? A family member? a friend? a co-worker? Now is the time. Now is the time to reconnect with all that you love about them, all that makes them great, all the reasons you have for loving them. Now is the time to see them as they could be if someone invited them to live as God made them to be. Be that person. Give that invitation. Start that conversation, ok? And do it TODAY.

God bless,
Live from your heart,

Scott
PS. One church father has this to say, "You say, 'show me your God.' I say, 'show me your inner man, and I'll show you my God.' For we see a man's God through his soul." Or if you prefer there's always my good buddy Jimmy, "Faith without works is dead... Show me your faith without works and I'll demonstrate my faith to you by my works!"

PPS. As a special bonus, you can watch the first video here which while a little on the New-Agey/Pelagian side (and the ridiculousness of that is not lost on me), is basically sound: http://www.tonyrobbins.com/experiences/screening-room.php

No comments:

Post a Comment